Syracuse University's Premier Fashion & Beauty Publication

How to Make the Most of Your Short Lashes

By: Alejandra Benavides

Short eyelashes can be such a pain to work with. Curling them seems pointless, and you can’t get volume, curl, or length without getting sticky or clumpy eyes.

When I started wearing makeup, I became aware of how difficult it was to get my pin-straight eyelashes to look the way I wanted. Girls around me flaunted long, fluttery lashes, while I could barely get my own to look decent. Over the years, I’ve experimented with mascaras (high-end, drugstore, volumizing, oil-based—you name it) and I never seemed to find ‘the one.’

But, through trial and error, I finally discovered how to make lashes as long as possible—because it is possible! It all comes down to how you prep your eyelashes, what products you use, and how you use them.

1. Even though curling your eyelashes might seem like a formality more than anything, it’s still important. Curl from the roots, and pump the curler a few times. Any eyelash curler should do the trick!

2. Using a primer is a must! Not only will it thicken your eyelashes, but it will add extra length and volume! Try Dior Show’s Maximizer 3D Triple Volume Primer or L’Oréal Voluminous Primer.

3. A trend I’ve noticed when trying mascaras is that the best ones tend to be waterproof. Oil-based mascaras will give length, but it won’t hold your curl as much as a water-based mascara. Try Dior’s Iconic Overcurl Waterproof Mascara, Korean-brand Touch in Sol’s Stretchex Stretch Lash Effect Mascara or L’Oréal’s Voluminous Butterfly Mascara!

4. The way you use mascara can also affect your lash outcome. Wipe off excess product from your wand on the tube so you don’t clump your lashes from the first swipe. While looking down, wiggle the wand from the roots to the ends of your lashes until you coat all your lashes. For more volume or intensity, add another layer (but remember to remove excess again!).

These tips have helped me perfect my everyday mascara routine to make the most out of my short lashes. The curse I had felt a few years ago is now broken with this current eyelashes routine!